Can I get a rent receipt?

If you require a receipt for tax purposes at the beginning of each year we can provide a history of payments made towards your apartment's rent. Please give us a few days to process your request.  

When is rent due? 

Rent is due on the first day of the month.  If you haven't paid within a few days, you may receive a Notice of non payment of rent (N4).  The notice will give you 14 days to pay the rent, or vacate the apartment.  If you pay the rent within the 14 days, the notice become void.  If you don't then the landlord can, on the 15th day, apply to the Landlord and Tenant Board for an order to evict you.  The order will require you to pay the rent owing, and the fees that the landlord paid to file the application.

Who do I make cheques out to? 

Cheques are to be made payable to Gilas Management & Maintenance Ltd. 

How much notice to vacate is required? 

You are required to provide at least 60 days notice to end your tenancy. You must end your tenancy on the last day of the month.  If you have a year lease then you must wait until 60 days prior to the expiry of your lease before giving notice. Even when you are renting month to month after your first 12 months, you must still give 60 days notice.

You do have the right to sublet or assign your lease to another party. In this case, you would need to find another acceptable tenant to replace you. This is a simplified answer to this question and there may be some exceptions. Therefore, please contact the office to discuss the options.

Can I pay rent by email and how do I go about it?

You can send your e-Transfer to: rent@gilasmanagement.com

If you do not already know them, the necessary security question and answer can be obtained by calling or visiting the office.

If we are unable to process your e-Transfer, it will be considered a non-payment of rent.  Please keep in mind that we accept e-Transfers as a courtesy. They are much more convenient for the tenant. In exchange, we ask that your e-Transfers use one of our standard security question/answer combinations, and also that your e-Transfer message identifies you to us (example: J. Smith #2 @ 327 Frank).  

In Ontario, it is the tenant's responsibility to ensure that rent payments get to the landlord. It is not our responsibility to chase "bounced" cheques or e-Transfers that we cannot open or identify.

If you have any questions, please give us a call or pay us a visit. I am trying to make this black and white on this page but would be more than happy to explain the nuances of a complex situation.

Can I change the locks to my apartment?

You may not change your apartment locks without first obtaining the landlord's permission.

When is my last month's rent deposit applied? 

Your last month's rent deposit will be applied towards a rent payment for the last month of your occupancy once you have given 60 days notice. If you have roomates, the situation is a little bit different. 

Where can I get a rental application? 

 You can come by the office anytime to pick up a residential tenancy application, or you can download a copy from the main page of our website.

Where can I drop off rent? 

You can drop off rent with us at our office. We recommend that you bring your rent when there is someone in the office to receive it.  You will want to get a receipt from us.

What forms of payment can I use to pay rent?

We accept e-Transfers and cheques.  For e-Transfers, there are specific details that you must know. For cheques, we are happy to take a stack of post-dated cheques if you would prefer to avoid having to come in every month. 

If you would like to pay using a different method, please contact us to discuss before submitting your payment.

Can I paint the apartment? 

Please contact us with your particular situation for an answer to this question. 

What if I need to break my lease? 

If you need us to break your lease for you, please have someone else ready to whom we can reassign your lease.  Once they are willing and ready, they would have to contact the office to begin the application process. If we accept them as tenants, we will absolve you of your contractual obligations.

We understand that situations can change very quickly. We would like to try to help you if you need to leave. 

What if I am leaving but my roommates want to stay in the apartment? 

You would probably want to get a new tenant to take your place. They would have to contact us to begin the application process.  If you do not find someone to take your place on the lease, you would still be held responsible for the terms of your contract.

Who do I contact about maintenance issues in my apartment? 

You can submit a maintenance request from our website.

During office hours, we will answer your maintenance/repair questions if you contact us directly. There is an option in our primary telephone tree for weekend and after hour help. 

Who do I call if I have a noise complaint?

You can always try your luck with the city/bylaw. I hear that you are supposed to call the police, but they are often busy and may not come.  

As management, we cannot do much except write a letter to make them aware that it is problematic for other tenants.  However, if your reasonable enjoyment of your home is repeatedly being interfered with, document the instances in writing. Include details like date, time, a description/narrative of the events (including how it disrupted you), as well as the duration. Once you have given such a list to us, we are able to pursue the issue by legal means.

Someone is parking in my parking space. What do I do? 

 Your parking contract with us gives you the authority to call the city and have them send someone to ticket and/or tow. They will need to see your contract as well as ID once they arrive.

Can I have a pet? 

We welcome your well-housed, quiet, friendly, well-behaved pets, provided you are home enough to cherish them and they do not damage your home in any way, pose any danger to, or create any disturbance for other residents in your building or neighbourhood.

I'm leaving my apartment for a month. What do I need to do? 

Please notify the office, close all windows, and clean out your garbage along with anything perishable to avoid potential pest problems and awful smells.